Congratulations. You have taken the steps needed to admit that you have a problem. Your daily makeup kit has been out of date for some time now. It may even be the same as it was during your high school or university years. You’re a mature adult now living in the real world and it is time for your makeup bag to reflect that. However, where do you start?
Here are six simple steps that will help you be well on your way to putting a more modern face forward:
1. Ditch the inexpensive drugstore brands with one exception: Mascara. Mascara is the one beauty product that needs to be replaced every three weeks. None of us want to purchase a $50 mascara when it is just going to be tossed out in no time. Opt for an adorable option that packs a punch like Voluminous by L’Oreal.
2. Find a foundation that works for you and blends into your jawline seamlessly. Foundation is the one area that you want to drop a bit more coin on. Your skin is one of the first things that people notice, so invest wisely in facial products such as foundation and concealers.
3. Toss those grimy makeup brushes that have been around since the 1990s. Newsflash: they are tired and old! Also, if the brushes no longer feel soft to the touch, they have to be discarded. The rougher the brush on the skin, the more the coveted collagen in your skin will be broken down due to slow makeup brush abuse. Opt for a new set of brushes that are fluffy, soft, and inevitably will treat your skin with care. Makeup brushes should be purchased from a professional makeup store, not the drugstore.
4. Perform a smell test on any cream-based product. If you notice that your favourite lipstick, cream blush or mascara smells a bit off, it is time to say goodbye.
5. When revamping your makeup kit, choose colours and shades that are neutral. Brown, black, bronze, plum, gold, champagne, taupe, and beige are the best hues to use for now and forever. They will never go out of style and can always be built up to add more drama. For lips, colours such as nudes, pinks, corals and reds are your best bet.
6. Last but not least, know that it is always better to buy higher end powder-based products, such as eyeshadows, face powder, and highlighters. Cream-based products need to be replaced regularly so you will be better off to stick to powder products, if possible.
With all of these tips above, you will be well on your way to becoming much more makeup savvy and cosmetically stylish than you were before!
The Pan Am Games Have Officially Begun