Building your own business is a colossal challenge. You’ll be facing unforeseen obstacles, running in circles, working small miracles… all at once and never in sequence. Even if sometimes it feels like you’re alone, you’re not the first to go through this, nor the last one. I firmly believe that women entrepreneurs must help one another and highlight the success of those who cross our path.
This is why I’d like to share with you the initiative of Dominique, a former collaborator, now at the head of wellDunn jewelry. She recently launched a campaign to discover new independent boutiques across Canada, with the intention of pampering the women behind these businesses. “As an entrepreneur, it’s easy to devote all your time to your project which leaves very little to yourself” Dominique told me. Her idea was to take the time to stop and thank the women who make a difference and offer them a jewelry of their choice.
“What if you simply devoted this day to pampering yourself?”
Sensitive to supporting women entrepreneurship, many of the shop owners responded to this call to solidarity by joining the campaign. Through Dominique’s effort, I had the pleasure of discovering 11 bold women and their boutique.
The efforts and accomplishments of these women are remarkable and noteworthy and I decided to share these Canadian independent fashion destinations with you! Who knows, maybe you’ll have the chance to visit one of them on your next trip this summer!
We asked the same questions to all those girls :
- Who is/are the owner/s ?
- Which label(s) do you carry in store that we should absolutely know about ?
- Tell us about a random thing that makes your store stand out ?
1- Ella the Shop – Saint John, NB
- Kelly Lawson
- We are most proud of our Canadian Indie labels: Melow (by Melissa Bolduc), Jennifer Glasgow, Eve Gravel, Lakefield&Co, I Love Tyler Madison.
- We have an iOS app for women to resell their gently used fashion items. They can clean out their closets to earn cash or a store credit for our boutique! The app is available on Apple mobile devices across Canada! http://app.thisisella.com
2- Floc Boutique – Edmonton, AB
- Janelle & Sandra
- We carry AG denim, Citizen of Humanity, Splendid, and a ton of Canadian brands; Nadya Toto, Soia & Kyo…
- We make styling fun by working with you on what looks best- It’s like shopping with your favorite gal pal! Our service is what has made us so successful!
3- Hoolio & Goober – Kenora, ON
- Ashley Schuster & Montana Lomnicki
- Gentle Fawn, Tofino Towel, Brunette the Label , Coutu Kitsch and MACCS are some of our top Canadian Designers
- If you were to walk down the streets of Kenora circa 1970 & 1980, you would hear a young Georgina selling custom designer jeans and tee’s from Hoolio & Goober Union. Georgina’s daughter Montana and her friend Ashley reinvented the store and brought it back to the streets of Kenora two years ago!
4- Klozet Boutique – Moncton, NB
- Janique Brun
- My favourites: For Love & Lemons, GRLFRND Denim, BB Dakota
- Klozet has an unique vibe! On top of our exclusive brands, it is our friendly approach (in and out of the boutique) that creates an experience for each client who walks in the boutique. I consider our clients more like friends!
5– Mac & Mango – Mission, BC
- Ashena Zand Vakili
- I love @minimum_fashion and their attention to quality and style – at the right price!
- The store is in an old courthouse and the changing rooms are made from the former cells.
6- Metra Fashion House – Collingwood, ON
- Cathy Brown
- Brands such as Melissa Nepton, Nisse, Sanctuary, Numph, Kut from the Kloth, Fidelity, Eve Gravel among others can be found in store.
- We carry modern, minimalist, edgy clothing, shoes and accessories and support Canadian designers.
7- My Little Stash – Charlottetown, PEI
- Danielle Woikin
- You should look at Shoppe Juju, The Girl from Away, The Potters Daughter and Ashley Anne Clark.
- Most of our products are made by family and friends in Prince Edward Island and a lot of it is one of a kind.
8- Shop Lordon – Saint John, NB
- Kate Thompson
- Tough question…I’d say Brunette the Label is the one brand that sets us apart. It started as an indie brand out of Vancouver and it’s really blown up over the past few years. We’re obsessed with it.
- We have a LOVE for plants, especially cactuses and succulents. Our store is filled with them!
9- Twisted Sisters Boutik, St. John’s, NL
- Jaclyn Gruchy & Tennille Ashley
- Canadian Made : BodyBag by Jude, Eve Gravel, Valerie Dumaine, Birds of North America // Shoes : Fly London, Camper, Bueno, El Naturlista // Accessories : Jenn Ellis, Rare Specimens, Pyrrha
- We are two sisters running the boutique since 2003. It’s located on the oldest street in North America and the most easterly point in Canada.
10- Two Fifty Two – Saskatoon, SK
- Mackenzie Firby
- DVF, Vince, Kate Spade, Frame Denim, Eileen Fisher and Iro are some of our favs and top sellers!
- We focus on our customers and making each and every one of them feel special and important! We want them to leave our showroom feeling amazing with pieces that they love!
11- Wren – Bowen Island, BC
- Erin Norgan
- From Montreal: Valérie Dumaine, Mackage and Ursa Minor // From Vancouver: The Sleep Shirt, Sunja Link and Nicole Bridger // From Toronto: Dagg and Stacey and The Stowe.
- We’re extremely fortunate for our flagship location to be located within the stunning Pacific Northwest, on a small piece of paradise that is Bowen Island.
12- Uptown Woods – Waterloo, ON
- Peter Phaboriboun the owner, has surrounded him with a solid team of girlbosses.
- We love Gentle Fawn, Matt and Nat, Lole. We also carry a wide selection of men’s label.
- We believe in promoting fashion for all ages, sexes and styles – We’ve got something for everyone!
Deep Sea Diving in Barbados: What an Adventure!